- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced (1/4 inch) onion
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 4 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup dried cherries or cranberries
1. Combine the cumin, saffron and salt. Set aside.
2. Heat the butter and oil in a pot over low heat. Add the onion and wilt, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and carrots; cook 5 minutes more, sprinkling with the spice mixture.
3. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring to mix well. Add the broth and cherries. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, until all the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork. Serve hot.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per serving: 240 calories, 44g carbohydrate, 5g protein, 4g fat, 5mg cholesterol
From Parade via Epicurious