Hummus alternative without tahini. Serve with crudite, crostini, or pita chips.
- 1 15 1/2-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped mint
- Sprinkling of cayenne pepper
1. Coarsely puree the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, and salt until smooth. Gradually add 1/3 cup oil in a thin, steady stream. Then add the water and puree until the chickpeas are smooth and fluffy. Scrape into a shallow bowl and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
2. Sprinkle the top with the herbs and cayenne; drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
Makes about 3 cups
From Fresh & Fast by Marie Simmons