- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 8 ounces sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 cup Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1. Bring broth and 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
2. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and sugar to pan; sauté 7 minutes or until onion is golden. Place onion mixture in a small bowl; set aside.
3. Removing casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add chopped shallots; sauté 2 minutes. Add Arborio rice; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in white wine; cook 45 seconds or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup hot broth; cook 2 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Remove from heat; stir in reserved onion, arugula, and remaining ingredients.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
Nutritional Information: CALORIES 390(24% from fat); FAT 10.3g (sat 3.6g,mono 3.6g,poly 1.4g); PROTEIN 21.1g; CHOLESTEROL 54mg; CALCIUM 104mg; SODIUM 900mg; FIBER 4.4g; IRON 2.4mg; CARBOHYDRATE 53.1g
from Cooking Light