Offer this healthful Moroccan grain dish as a main course or as an accompaniment to roasted chicken.
- 1 1/2 cups canned chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup drained canned chick-peas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- pine nuts
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter small baking dish. Bring chicken broth and butter to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Add couscous. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until couscous is tender and has absorbed all liquid, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato, chick-peas, raisins, cinnamon, basil and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to baking dish. Cover and cook until heated through, about 15 minutes.
yield: Serves 4
adapted from Epicurious