- 1 1/4 pounds lamb shoulder or stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- 1 cup canned chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tsp each of cumin, coriander, cinnamon
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 10-ounce package ready-to-use spinach leaves
Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add lamb and sauté until brown, about 10 minutes. Add onion, carrots, and garlic and sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garbanzo beans, broth, tomatoes, and lemon juice and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot and simmer gently until lamb is tender, about 1 hour.
Add spinach to stew. Cover and cook until spinach wilts, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Season stew with salt and pepper. Serve over rice or couscous.