- 1 medium head garlic
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds root vegetables , peeled and cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion or 4 to 6 shallots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted, or vegetable or olive oil, or a combination
- Table salt and ground black pepper
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. If roasting garlic cloves in skins, simply break head into individual cloves. If you wish to roast cloves out of skins, put whole, unpeeled head in a small saucepan with water to cover. Bring water to boil, then simmer to soften cloves and loosen skins, about 10 minutes. Drain and refresh garlic head under cold water. Separate cloves and peel.
2. Put vegetables (excluding garlic) into a roasting pan large enough to hold them without crowding. Toss vegetables with butter and/or oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast, stirring or shaking vegetables every 15 minutes, until tender and evenly browned, 45 to 50 minutes. Add unpeeled garlic cloves during final 20 minutes; add peeled garlic during final 15 minutes. Sprinkle with pepper; taste and adjust seasonings. Serve hot or at room temperature.
from Cooks Illustrated. Serves 4. Published January 1, 1994.