- 1 pound broccoli, trimmed and cut into spears, the stems reserved for another use
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- freshly grated lemon zest for sprinkling the broccoli
- lightly toasted pine nuts or almonds (optional)
In a steamer set over boiling water steam the broccoli, covered, for 4 minutes, or until it is crisp-tender. In a skillet heat the butter over moderate heat until the foam subsides, in it toss the broccoli until it is coated well, and sprinkle the broccoli with the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and zest. Sprinkle on nuts, if desired.
Yield: Serves 3
Adapted from Gourmet | March 1992