Sumac comes from the berries of a bush that grows wild in Mediterranean areas, especially Sicily and southern Italy, and parts of the Middle East. It can be used in the same way as lemon juice.
- 1 loaf crisp local bread
- 3 tomatoes, chopped very small
- 5-6 cucumbers, chopped very small
- 1 onion, grated
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lettuce heart, shredded
- a few fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
Cut up the bread into small pieces 1 to 1 1/2 inches square. Sprinkle with cold water, and place in a salad bowl. Pile all the vegetables and the mint leaves over the bread.
Mix lemon juice, sumac, salt and oil. Pour over fatush and toss.
Recipe from In Mama's Kitchen