- 3/4 pound day-old crusty peasant-style whole-grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 2 large tomatoes (about 1 pound), trimmed and each cut into 8 wedges
- 3/4 cup sliced unwaxed cucumber
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 10 fresh basil leaves, shredded
In a serving bowl stir together the bread, the tomatoes, the cucumber, the onion, the oil, the vinegar, the basil, and salt and pepper to taste until the salad is combined well.
Serves 4 to 6.
Gourmet, August 1993