- 4 slices bacon in 1-inch piece
- 4 tb unsalted butter
- 2 c diced leeks
- 1 1/2 c diced onions
- 1 c diced celery
- 1 1/2 ts dried tarragon
- 1/2 ts dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 c chicken stock (homemade preferred)
- 2 1/2 c diced potatoes
- 1 lb rinsed spinach 1/8 inch slivers
- 1 1/2 c sliced carrots*
- 1 1/2 c shredded cabbage*
1. In large soup pot, cook bacon till fat is rendered (5 min), remove & discard.
2. Add butter, then leeks, onion and celery. Cook over low heat till wilted (15 min). Season with tarragon, thyme salt & pepper. Stir well.
3. Add stock, potatoes & carrots. Simmer till tender but not mushy (15 min).
4. add half the spinach and the cabbage, simmer 1 minute.
5. Remove from heat. Puree half the soup in a food processor or blender & return to pot.
6. Simmer over low heat and add the remaining spinach and the cream. Heat well but don't boil. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Serving Size : 6
Recipe found in “The New Basics” cookbook Lulins/Rossi *ingredients added by me! Mark in NJ