I can think of no more superlative recommendation for this recipe than its title. I’m happy eating it every day of asparagus season, at almost any time of the day or night.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ cup fruity olive oil
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds medium asparagus, trimmed and bottom portion of stalks peeled
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. For the vinaigrette, whisk the vinegar, lemon juice, and mustard together in a small bowl. Add the garlic. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, then stir in the diced tomato. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let mellow at room temperature at least 30 minutes.
2. Blanch, steam, or microwave the asparagus just until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain. Arrange the hot asparagus on a serving platter and pour the vinaigrette over all. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Let sit at least 10 minutes before serving. The asparagus may be served warm or at room temperature. I often make it about 30 minutes ahead of serving and let it sit while I attend to the rest of my meal.