- 1 large celeriac, sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 apple (sharp variety such as Granny Smith), sliced
- 180ml whipping or double cream
- freshly ground black pepper
- 125g grated cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 190C/Gas mark 5 and steam the celeriac and fennel for 5 minutes to soften slightly.
2. Put a layer of celeriac into a buttered gratin dish and season. Then layer the apple slices over the top and sprinkle with salt. Next, spread a layer of fennel on top of the apple.
3. Repeat step 2 with the remaining celeriac, apple and fennel. Season and pour the cream over the bake.
4. Bake for about 35 minutes until soft. If adding cheese, finish the bake off under the grill until the cheese bubbles.
Recipe by Amy Brooks, a box customer from Reading. This 'yummy' bake was the winning recipe of our 2009 recipe competition held at the Field Kitchen in Devon.