A twist on tabbouleh. Serve with grilled lamb and Warm Green Bean Salad or Fattoush.
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup chopped loosely packed Italian parsley, including tender stems
- 2 firm ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into ½ inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup cubed (1/2 inch) cucumber
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) crumbled feta cheese
- Toasted pine nuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Spread the bulgur in a 13x9 inch baking pan and bake until lightly toasted, stirring once, 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add 1½ cups boiling water, 1 tablespoon oil and ½ teaspoon salt and stir to blend. Let stand, covered tightly, until all the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
2. Dressing: In a large bowl whisk 1/3 cup oil, the lemon juice, garlic and ½ teaspoon salt until blended.
3. Finely chop the mint and parsley. Combine the bulgur, dressing, herbs, tomatoes, cucumber and onion and toss to blend. Spoon into a deep platter and garnish with feta and toasted pine nuts. Serve at room temperature.
Makes 4 servings
Adapted from Marie Simmons, Fresh & Fast Vegetarian