- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds pork sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 pounds tomatoes (about 7 cups), chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup almonds, finely ground
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 cups Spanish short-grain white rice
- 4 cups (or more) hot canned low-salt chicken broth
- Lemon wedges
Cut 1 bell pepper lengthwise into thin strips. Chop second pepper; reserve. Heat oil in heavy 14-inch skillet or paella pan over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper strips; sauté until softened, about 6 minutes. Using tongs, transfer pepper strips to bowl; reserve. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and cook until brown on all sides, about 12 minutes. Transfer to plate. Add sausage to skillet; sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer to plate with chicken.
Pour off all but 6 tablespoons drippings from skillet. Add mushrooms to skillet; sauté over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, garlic and chopped bell pepper and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until almost all liquid evaporates, about 35 minutes.
Add green beans and next 7 ingredients to skillet. Stir in rice, chicken, sausage and 6 cups hot broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked, adding more broth if mixture seems dry, about 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes. Top with pepper strips. Garnish with lemon.
From Bon Appetit