- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 pounds ripe juicy tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) pureed pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon juice
- ½ cup coarsely shredded Comte, Pecorino Romano, or sharp cheddar, plain yogurt or crème fraîche
2. Add tomatoes, pumpkin, 1 1/4 cups water, tomato paste and about 1/2 teaspoon salt. Heat to a boil and cook, covered, over medium-low heat, 10 minute. Uncover and cool slightly. Puree the soup with an immersion blender. If you don't have an immersion blender, carefully transfer the soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor and process until pureed. Return the soup to the pot. Add additional water to thin soup to desired consistency, if necessary.
3. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Taste and add additional salt and a generous grinding of black pepper. Ladle into bowls and mound about 2 tablespoons of cheese in the center of each serving, or if preferred add a swirl of yogurt or crème fraîche. Serve at once.
Makes 3-4 servings
Adapted from Fresh & Fast Vegetarian