- 3 medium-sized, ripe Haas avocados
- 3 large scallions, sliced thin
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 small jalapeno chile, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lime
- 6 slices cooked, drained, and crumbled bacon
- half a medium tomato, seeded and diced small
To minimize the risk of discoloration, prepare the minced ingredients first so they are ready to mix with the avocados as soon as they are cut.
1. Halve one avocado, remove pit, and scoop flesh into medium bowl. Mash flesh lightly with scallions, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, salt, and cumin (if using) with tines of a fork until just combined.
2. Halve and pit remaining two avocados, and cut into 1/2-in grid in the skins. Gently scoop out avocado into bowl with mashed avocado mixture.
3. Sprinkle lime juice over diced avocado and add bacon and tomato. Mix entire contents of bowl lightly with fork until combined but still chunky. Adjust seasoning with salt, if necessary, and serve. (Can be covered with plastic wrap, pressed directly onto surface of mixture, and refrigerated up to one day. Return guacamole to room temperature, removing plastic wrap at the last moment, before serving)
Yield: 2 1/2 - 3 cups