- 1 1/2 pounds of a mixture of any of the following vegetables: asparagus, yellow or green summer squash, bell peppers (any color), broccoli, small eggplant, portabella mushooms
- 3 T. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 12 ounces penne
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 4 oz. chevre
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- half of a red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated peccorino Romano cheese
1. Slice or chop the vegetables into manageable sizes for grilling. Toss with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and enclose in a grill basket. Grill over moderately high heat until somewhat softened and blackened in spots. (Or spread out on a baking sheet and roast at 450 to a similar degree of doneness.)
2. Cook the pasta until al dente. Ladle out and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Drain the pasta.
3. Return the pasta to the still-warm cooking pot and add the cream, chevre, and reserved cooking water. Toss until the cheese begins to melt. Add the tomatoes, onion, basil, and vegetables and toss gently until heated through. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
4. Pass the peccorino Romano at the table.
from Dishing Up Maine