- One 1-pound loaf sourdough or other crusty bread
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 pound asparagus
- 3 to 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
Using a serrated knife, cut the bread into 3/4-inch slices, then stack 4 or 5 slices of bread. Cut them into 3/4-inch cubes. Repeat with the remaining bread and put all of the cubes in a large bowl.In medium bowl, whisk together the milk, broth, eggs, salt, pepper, and dill until combined. Pour the mixture over the bread.
Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus and cut the spears into 1-inch pieces. Add them to the bread along with the mushrooms and shallots. Fold everything together well to combine the ingredients. Spoon them into the prepared pan and pat down the top to compact the ingredients. Sprinkle the cheese evenly ever the top.
Bake the pudding for 45 minutes, or until the top is browned and crisp and there is no liquid in the center. Let sit fo10 minutes before cutting into portions.
from Hands'-Off Cooking via 101 Cookbooks