- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 3 ribs celery, sliced, leaves included
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 15-oz. cans artichoke hearts (not marinated), coarsely chopped, in two equal piles
- 1 head garlic, roasted
- White peppercorns, ground
- 2 cups cream
- 1/4 cup cream sherry
- 1/4 nutmeg seed, ground, plus more for garnish
- Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Melt the butter in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and 1 teaspoon salt. Sauté until translucent.
2. Add the flour, stir well to coat onions and celery, then add the sock in 1-cup increments. Stir well after each addition to keep the flour from lumping up.
3. Add 1 pile of artichoke hearts, the roasted garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Stir well, cover, and allow the soup to come to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and simmer for 15 to 25 minutes.
4. Purée this in batches and strain into a storage container. Discard anything remaining in the strainer.
5. Wash out the stockpot. Pour the puréed soup back into it. Add the cream, sherry, nutmeg, and the second batch of chopped artichoke hearts. Stir well. Cover and let simmer over medium-low until heated completely through.
6. Serve immediately with freshly grated Parmesan and a little nutmeg if you desire.
from S.O.U.P.S.: Seattle's Own Undeniably Perfect Soups 8 servings 1 hour prep time