- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 small (about 8 ounces) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 5 Thai green or 3 jalapeno chiles, seeded and minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 6 cups cold cooked white rice, large clumps broken up with fingers
- 5 medium scallions, sliced thin (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges for serving
1. Dissolve sugar in fish and soy sauces in small bowl; set aside. Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt; set aside.
2. Heat 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot, about 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and swirl to coat pan bottom. Add eggs and cook without stirring, until they just begin to set, about 20 seconds, then scramble and break into small pieces with wooden spoon; continue to cook, stirring constantly, until eggs are cooked through but not browned, about 1 minute longer. Transfer eggs to small bowl and set aside.
3. Return skillet to burner, increase heat to high and heat skillet until hot, about 1 minute; add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and swirl to coat pan bottom. Add 1 teaspoon curry and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds; add chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl with eggs and set aside.
4. Return skillet to high heat and heat until hot, about 1 minute; add remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons oil and swirl to coat pan bottom. Add onion and 1 tablespoon curry and cook, stirring constantly, until onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and chiles; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add rice and fish sauce mixture; cook, stirring constantly and breaking up rice clumps until mixture is heated through, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and chicken, scallions, and cilantro; cook, stirring constantly until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve immediately with lime wedges.