This salad can change with the seasons; try persimmons in the fall, pears or blood oranges in the winter, and nectarines when they are in season. You can substitute mixed baby greens for the arugula and frisée.
- 1/2 cup shelled and unsalted hazelnuts
- 1 head frisée
- 4 white nectarines (preferably with cling-free stones)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces baby arugula
1. Heat oven to 400°F.
2. Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and place in oven. Toast until they are golden brown, about 7 minutes. Remove hazelnuts from the oven and set aside to cool.
3. Cut off the base of the frisée and discard; chop the rest into bite-sized pieces.
4. Cut nectarines into sixths and set aside. Wrap cooled hazelnuts in a towel and rub them vigorously to remove most of the skins. Chop the nuts coarsely.
5. Combine both vinegars in a medium mixing bowl, add salt and pepper to taste, and add the olive oil in a thin stream, whisking it to mix. Place the arugula, frisée, nectarines, and toasted hazelnuts in a serving bowl.
6. To serve, pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
Makes: 6 to 8 servings