Start with about 8 cups dry to 1 cup wet for a mildly sweet, crunchy granola, but feel free to adjust the proportions to your taste from there.
Dry (choose a few or all):
- Rolled oats (5 to 6 parts)
- Scottish or steel-cut oats
- Wheat germ
- Flax seed
- Almonds, walnuts, pecans
- Sunflower seeds
- Shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- Canola, vegetable, or olive oil (1 part)*
- Honey or maple syrup (3 parts)
Also add (per one cup wet):
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
*Don't be scared to use olive oil; even extra virgin imparts little flavor on the final product
Preheat oven to 250° F.
Combine dry ingredients and pour onto a parchment lined sheet pan. Combine wet and pour over dry, then gently mix. Bake for about 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
After baking, add 1-2 parts dried fruit such as raisins, blueberries, or cranberries.