- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 medium baking apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 6 cups grated sweet potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
1. For the syrup: In a large nonstick skillet, stir together the brown sugar, orange juice, and cinnamon. Add the apples and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, for 10 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the brown sugar has melted to form a syrup. If the apples begin to dry out, add water, one tablespoon at a time, to keep them moist. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and keep warm. Wash and dry the skillet.
2. For the pancakes: In a large bowl, mix the sweet potatoes, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, honey, egg, and egg whites.
3. Preheat the oven to 200F. Coat the skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat for 3 minutes, until hot but not smoking. For each pancake, drop about 2 tablespoons of batter into the skillet. Flatten slightly with a spatula until about 3 inches across. Cook the pancakes until golen brown on both sides. Repeat with the remaining batter, coating the skillet with cooking spray as needed.