- 1 lb. onions
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lb. thinly sliced beef
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup mirin
- 4 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- pickled ginger (beni shoga) to taste
1. Cut the onions in half lengthwise and then slice into half moons 1/2-inch wide.
2. In a medium-size saucepan, bring the wine and water to a boil over moderate heat. Add the beef and simmer for a few minutes, skimming the surface of the broth as it foams. Add the soy sauce, mirin, and sugar and cover with a drop lid of aluminum foil (rests directly atop the food) and simmer for a few more minutes.
3. Remove the lid, add the onions and again simmer until the onions are transparent and soft.
4. Put the hot cooked rice into 4 bowls. Ladle the beef and onions, together with some soup from the pan onto each rice bowl and garnish with little pickled red ginger.
from Harumi's Japanese Cooking
Yield: 4 servings