- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into short strips (from 1 purchased roast chicken)
- 1 6-ounce bag baby spinach leaves
- 6 bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium-size red onion, sliced paper-thin
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- optional: tomatoes, fresh mushrooms, roasted peppers
Place chicken and spinach in large bowl. Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons drippings from skillet. Add onion and vinegar to drippings in skillet; stir to heat through, scraping up browned bits, about 1 minute. Pour dressing over chicken and spinach. Add bacon; toss to coat (spinach will wilt slightly). Season salad with salt and pepper; serve.
NOTE: Bacon drippings add extra flavor to the dressing. Crumble some Gorgonzola cheese over the finished salad for even more punch. Serve with: Tomato soup with a dash of Tabasco and corn bread squares. Dessert: Brownies topped with coffee ice cream.
Yield: 4 servings