- 1 1/2 cups ruby port
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1. Simmer port and orange juice in small saucepan over medium heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl; cool to room temperature.
2. Whisk vinegar, cream, marmalade, thyme, salt, and pepper into cooled port reduction. Whisk in oils until incorporated. (Can be refrigerated up to 3 weeks.)
Use this sweet, smooth dressing on assertive bitter greens such as escarole, radicchio, and endive. Appropriate salad garishes include toasted nuts and crumbled blue cheese. For two servings, start with 1 tablespoon of this dressing per quart of greens, adding more as desired.
from Cooks Illustrated
Yield: makes 1 cup