- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or balsamic, red, or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaf or mint
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless lamb cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- table salt
1. Whisk first 7 ingredients together in a small bowl until marinade is combined. Place lamb cubes in a zipper-lock bag or in a shallow, nonreactive pan. Pour yogurt marinade over cubes and seal or cover. Transfer bag or bowl to refrigerator and marinate cubes, turning zipper-lock bag or stirring contents of pan occasionally to evenly distribute marinade, for at least 3 hours, 24 hours if possible.
2. Heat grill. Remove lamb cubes from bag or pan and sprinkle with salt. Thread 1/6 of lamb cubes onto each of 6 skewers. Place skewers on the hot grill rack. Cover and cook over a medium-hot fire, turning once, until medium-rare, about 7 to 8 minutes.
Skewer vegetables like zucchini, bell peppers, and onions along with the lamb and serve them over a bed of basmati rice. You can also serve the lamb with pita bread, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, and cucumber-yogurt sauce.
from Cooks Illustrated
Yield: 6 servings