- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 can sliced pineapple in juice, drained and juice reserved
- 12 maraschino cherries (optional)
- 1 box yellow cake mix (Betty Crocker SuperMoist)
- vegetable oil as specified by box (e.g. 1/3 cup)
- eggs as specified on box (e.g. 3)
Heat oven to 350F.
Mix yellow cake mix as directed on box, using juice from pineapple instead of water, add water to make up necessary amount called for, if needed.
Melt butter and brown sugar over low heat in a 13x9 pan or iron skillet (yellow Le Cruset works well).
Place pineapple rings onto butter/brown sugar mixture in pan, and put cherries in rings. Pour cake batter on top.
Bake 42 to 47 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes clean. Immediately turn pan upside down onto heatproof serving plate; leave pan over cake 1 minute. Serve warm or cool. Store loosely covered.