- 1 3/4 cups fat-free or low-fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup oatmeal (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 6 T maple syrup
- 2 T toasted wheat germ
1. In medium saucepan, bring milk and salt to a gentle boil. (Watch carefully.) Stir in oats, cranberries and maple syrup. Return to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook 1 minute for quick oats, 5 minutes for old fashioned oats or until most of milk is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Let stand until desired consistency. Stir in wheat germ.
2. Spoon oatmeal into four cereal bowls. Drizzle with additional syrup, if desired. Serve with milk or yogurt, if desired.
COOK'S TIPS: Freeze single servings of cooked oatmeal in small resealable freezer bags. Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Transfer to microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, on DEFROST until hot, stirring once or twice.
1/2 of recipe: calories 380, calories from fat 30, total fat 3.5g, saturated fat 0.5g, cholesterol 0mg, sodium 150mg, total carbohydrates 75g, dietary fiber 6g, protein 15g, total sugars 38g.
Yield: 2 servings