This is a wonderfully woodsy, warm salad for chilly autumn evenings.
- 7 tablespoons fruity olive oil
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
- 8 ounces domestic white mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1/4 cup pitted Nicoise olives, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 bunches arugula, trimmed, rinsed, and patted dry
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and saute, stirring frequently, 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the garlic, anchovies, olives, capers, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar. Simmer 5 minutes or so to blend the flavors.
2. Meanwhile, toss the arugula with the remaining olive oil in a large salad bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the warm mushroom mixture to the arugula and toss until thoroughly blended. Mix in the Gorgonzola and divide the salad among 6 plates. Serve at once.
Makes 6 servings
from Cold Weather Cooking