- 2 medium eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 yellow bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups fruity olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound orzo, cooked according to package directions and drained
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and minced
- 12 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
2. Toss the eggplant, peppers, and garlic together in a roasting pan. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables in the oven, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly blistered, about 45 minutes.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine the cooked orzo with the roasted vegetables. Stir in the scallions, feta, mint, and pine nuts. Dress the salad with the lemon juice and enough of the remaining oil to moisten thoroughly. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Transfer to an attractive bowl and serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
from Cold Weather Cooking