Recommended as an accompaniment to steak.
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- 10 shiso leaves or a mix of basil and mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or vegetable oil
- 2 cups cooked rice (Japanese if possible)
- 1 teaspoon granulated chicken stock
- soy sauce
- dried fish flakes (if available)
- coarsely ground pepper
1. Finely chop the garlic and then cut the shiso leaves into 1/3-inch square pieces.
2. Heat the oil in a wok and fry the garlic till aromatic. Then add the rice and stock powder.
3. Add the soy sauce by pouring it onto the inside surface of the pan and mixing it in. Turn off the heat, add the shiso leaves and mix quickly. Use the dried fish flakes and pepper as garnish.
from Harumi's Japanese Cooking
Yield: 4 servings