HOT CIDER DRESSING
- 2 cups apple cider
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 1 -inch pieces
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- 12 cups torn mixed salad greens, such as leaf lettuce, radicchio, endive, and watercress
- 1 cup Spiced Pecans
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 1 1/2 large McIntosh apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces crumbled chevre, such as Montrachet
Place the cider in a small saucepan and boil until reduced to 1/2 cup, 20 to 25 minutes. Set aside. Saute the bacon in a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels and discard all but 3 tablespoons of the fat remaining in the skillet. Add the shallots to the skillet and saute over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the cinnamon and mustard and cook 1 minute more. Add the reduced cider and the olive oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep the dressing hot over medium-low heat.
Toss the salad greens, the spiced pecans, the reserved bacon, the fennel, apples, and chevre together in a large salad bowl. Toss with the hot cider dressing and serve at once.
Makes 6 servings
from Cold Weather Cooking