- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 2 ounce sliced pancetta or bacon, finely diced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 3/4 pounds ripe fresh tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1/4 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound fettuccine, cooked according to package directions just before serving and drained
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Place the sausage and pancetta in a large skillet and saute over medium-high heat, crumbling the sausage with the back of a wooden spoon, until it loses its pink color, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Stir in the onion, garlic, fennel, and saffron; cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes, red wine, and tomato paste; cook over medium heat another 20 minutes. The tomatoes should be soft but still retain some of their shape. Stir in the cream, basil, salt, and pepper and cook just 1 minute more.
3. Toss the hot cooked fettuccine with the sauce in a large serving bowl. Serve at once accompanied with freshly grated Parmesan.
Makes 5 to 6 servings
from Cold Weather Cooking, p. 18