- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups snow peas, stringed
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- Cooked rice
- optional additions: sweet potato chunks, green beans for the snow peas, a tablespoon or so of brown sugar to balance out the spice, a lot more ginger, water chestnuts, and roasted eggplant; sliced bamboo shoots; 2 garlic cloves, crushed, 1 tsp. ground turmeric, 2 Tbsp. fish sauce, and 1/2 tsp sugar; broccoli, mushrooms, red bell peppers
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and 1 teaspoon ginger; saute until fragrant, 1 minute. Add chicken; saute until golden, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer mixture to bowl.
Add coconut milk, broth and curry paste to skillet. Stir until smooth. Add 2 tablespoons basil, cilantro and 1 teaspoon ginger. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer until sauce thickens, about 7 minutes. Return chicken mixture to skillet. Add snow peas and green onions; simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon rice onto plates. Spoon curry atop rice. Sprinkle with remaining basil.
Yield: 4 servings