- 12 oz. fresh salmon
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small potato, peeled
- 4 oz. ground or coarsely chopped pork
- a little beaten egg
- salt and pepper
- sunflower or vegetable oil for frying
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chili paste or to-ban-jan
- superfine sugar to taste
- a small handful of freshly chopped cilantro leaves to garnish
1. Remove any bones or skin from the salmon. Chop finely until it is almost ground.
2. Chop the onion into 1/4- to 1/3-inch pieces and cook lightly in the butter, taking care to retain the onion's crisp texture. Leave to cool.
3. Rinse the potato and cut in half crosswise. Place in a microwave-safe bowl and cover. Microwave on medium for 2-3 minutes until cooked (some potatoes may take longer). Mash and leave to cool (do not add any butter or milk).
4. In a large bowl mix the salmon and pork. Add the cooked onion, mashed potato and beaten egg, then season with salt and pepper. Combine all dressing ingredients.
5. Shape the mixture into 12 small patties. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Place the burgers in the pan and cook evenly on both sides.
6. Serve on plates with dressing.
from Harumi's Japanese Cooking
Yield: 4 servings