- 3/4 lb tomatillos, husks removed
- 2 jalapenos, stemmed
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, , leaves and stems, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (can substitute vegetable stock)
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat.
2. Grill tomatillos,jalapenos, onion and garlic in skillet, occasionally turning to toast all side, for about 5 minutes. Ingredients will blacken in places (this is a good thing).
3. Remove from skillet and put into a blender, add cilantro and puree until smooth.
4. Heat 1 vegetable oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat.
5. Pour puree into pan and cook, stirring constantly, until it darkens in color, about 5 minutes.
6. Add chicken stock, season with salt and pepper, and lower heat to medium low.
7. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.