- nori seaweed
- wasabi paste
- seasoned sushi rice
- maki fillings of choice: tuna, salmon, avocado, cucumber, "crab", shredded shiso leaves
- sesame seeds (for inside-out roll)
- rolling mat
1. Take 1/2 sheet of nori and place it on the rolling mat. Spread a thin layer of cooked rice evenly over the nori, leaving 1/2-inch of nori on each side free from rice as you will need this to seal the roll. Dab a little wasabi in a line across the rice.
2. Place the ingredients on the wasabi, but not too many or it won't roll well.
3. Roll it carefully and evenly away from you, pressing it firmly. Remove the rolling mat, trim any ingredients that are protruding from the ends of the roll and cut into about 1-inch pieces.
For inside out roll, place nori on nonstick parchment paper and spread a thin layer of rice right to the edge. Carefully turn it over so the nori is facing upwards and add the ingredients. Roll carefully and evenly away from you. Put some toasted sesame seeds on a plate and roll the maki in them, so the roll is well coated. Cut into 1-inch pieces and serve.
from Harumi's Japanese Cooking