- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup oatmeal (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/6 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 ounces vanilla low-fat or nonfat yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped toasted pecans**
*To make your own pumpkin pie spice: Combine 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Store tightly covered.
**To toast pecans: Spread pecans evenly in shallow baking pan. Bake at 400°F 5 to 7 minutes or until deep golden brown.
1. In medium saucepan, bring water, pie spice and salt to a boil; stir in oats. Return to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cook 1 minute for quick oats, 5 minutes for old fashioned oats or until most of liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Stir in pumpkin and brown sugar; cook 1 minute. Let stand until desired consistency.2. Spoon oatmeal into four cereal bowls. Top with yogurt and pecans.
Nutritional Info per 1 cup serving: calories 180, fat 4g, carbohydrates 31g, fiber 3g, protein 6g
Yield: 3.5 servings