- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 cups cubed French bread (1/2-inch cubes)
- 16 ripe plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fruity olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Heat the bacon fat in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bread cubes and stir to coat evenly with the fat. Saute until lightly browned all over, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, and sugar to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the basil and remove from the heat.
3. Transfer the tomato mixture to a shallow 1 1/2-quart casserole. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top and drizzle with the olive oil. Bake until bubbling and lightly browned, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve at once.
Makes 6 servings
from Cold Weather Cooking, p. 17-18