The mix of flavors in this side dish is great with broiled lamb chops or roast chicken. Or add shredded chicken to make the pilaf a main dish.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds. Stir in rice, apple, apricots, cinnamon stick, ginger, curry powder and salt. Add 2 cups water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 18 minutes. Remove from heat. Season to taste with pepper and additional salt, if desired. Transfer pilaf to bowl. Sprinkle with almonds and serve.
Per serving: calories, 259; total fat, 5 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 0
Yield: 4 servings