- 2 smoked garlic sausages, about 4 oz each
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 Portuguese or grinder rolls, sliced horizontally, warmed if you like
1. Prepare a charcoal fire with medium coals or preheat a gas grill for medium heat.
2. Split the sausages in half lengthwise. When the grill is hot, cook the sausages on the grill, turning once or twice, until charred and heated through, about 6 minutes. (Alternatively, you can cook the sausages under the stove broiler or saute them in a little oil in a large skillet.)
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally until they begin to brown and soften, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the oregano, cook for 1 minute, and stir in the vinegar.
4. Layer the sausages and peppers on the rolls, slice in half diagonally, and serve.
from Dishing Up Maine
Yield: 2 servings