- 3 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, poached just until tender and cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup dried figs, cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup dried apricot halves, cut into julienne strips
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- 3/4 cup blanched whole almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
- 3/4 cup mango chutney
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons good-quality curry powder
- 1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream
- Salt to taste
1. Cut the poached chicken breasts into 2 x 3/4-inch strips and mix with the figs, dates, and apricots in a large mixing bowl.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-heat in a medium-size skillet. Stir in the garlic and almonds and cook, stirring constantly, until the almonds are lightly toasted, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with the kosher salt and toss with the chicken and fruit.
3. Place the chutney, egg, and curry powder in a food processor and process until smooth. With the machine running, pour the remaining 3/4 cup oil through the feed tube in a thin, steady stream. Then pour in the heavy cream with the machine still running to make a thick cream sauce. Season to taste with salt. Bind the salad together with the dressing.
4. Transfer the salad to a serving bowl and refrigerate a couple hours before serving.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
from Cold Weather Cooking