- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes such as russets or yukon golds
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, thyme, sage, or a combination
1. Grease a shallow 3-quart baking dish with butter.
2. Peel the potatoes and cut into thin slices. You should have about 5 cups.
3. Preheat the oven to 350F.
4. Combine the potatoes, onion, flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and use your hands to mix thoroughly. Spread the mixture into the prepared dish.
5. Combine the milk and butter in a medium-sized saucepan. Warm over medium heat until butter melts and steam rises, about 2 minutes. Pour over the potatoes and cover with foil.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with the chopped herbs, and continue to bake, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Serve hot or warm.
from Dishing Up Maine
Yield: 6 servings