- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/4 cups ale or beer
- 3/4 cup bottled chili sauce or ketchup
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions
- 6 sourdough rolls, split, toasted
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce or packaged garden salad mix
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add turkey, green pepper and garlic and saute until turkey is no longer pink, breaking up meat with back of fork, about 10 minutes. Mix in chili powder; stir 1 minute. Add next 4 ingredients. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture thickens, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Mix in green onions; season with salt and pepper.
Arrange roll bottoms on plates. Spoon sloppy joe mixture over; top with lettuce and roll tops.
Yield: 6 servings