- 1/2 pound fiddlehead ferns
- 1/2 pound baby carrots
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, stems and strings removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
1. If the fiddleheads have papery brown membranes clinging to them, immerse them in a sinkful of cold water and rub it off. Trim the ends.
2. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the carrots and cook until they are almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add the fiddleheads and continue to cook until they are almost tender, about 4 minutes longer. Finally add the snap peas and cook for about a minute, until they turn bright green.
3. Drain the vegetables into a colander, then shock in the cold water. Drain.
4. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the vegetables, sprinkle with the sugar, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
from Dishing Up Maine