- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium rib celery, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper (orange or yellow OK)
- 5 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 8 ounces andouille sausage , halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice (10 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (Scorned Woman)
- 1 can whole tomatoes, mashed
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound medium shrimp (31 to 35 shrimp per pound), or large shrimp, shelled (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, skin-side down, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, turn chicken and cook until golden brown on second side, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to plate and set aside. Reduce heat to medium and add andouille; cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium-low, add vegetables, and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping bottom of pot with wooden spoon, until vegetables have softened, about 4 minutes. Add rice, salt, thyme, and cayenne; cook, stirring frequently, until rice is coated with fat, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice, chicken broth, bay leaves, and browned sausage to pot; stir to combine. Remove and discard skin from chicken; place chicken, skinned-side down, on rice. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir once, keeping chicken on top, skinned-side down. Replace cover and continue to simmer until chicken is no longer pink when cut into with paring knife, about 10 minutes more; transfer chicken to clean plate and set aside. Scatter shrimp over rice, cover, and continue to cook until rice is fully tender and shrimp are opaque and cooked through, about 5 minutes more.
While shrimp are cooking, shred chicken. When shrimp are cooked, discard bay leaves; off heat, stir in parsley and shredded chicken, and serve immediately.
Yield: 10 servings