- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices low carb white bread, crusts removed
- 1/2 pound Gruyere cheese, coarsely shredded
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to color. Add onions, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 30 to 35 minutes until onions are very wilted, golden, and tender.
2. Add broth, rosemary, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
3. During last 5 minutes of soup-cooking time, heat broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet. Toast bread under broiler, 4 inches from the heat source, 20 to 40 seconds per side. Turn broiler off. Top each toasted slice with cheese. Return baking sheet to hot oven until cheese melts, about 30 to 50 seconds).
4. To serve: Place 1 bread slice in bottom of each soup bowl, ladle in soup, and top with another bread slice.
Nutritional info (per serving): 25 grams carbohydrate; 15 grams net carbs; 10 grams fiber; 35.5 grams protein; 30 grams fat; 498 calories
from Atkins for Life
Yield: 4 servings