- 1 small carrot, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 24 asparagus spears, trimmed cut into 2-inch pieces
- 12 ounces fettuccine
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 2/3 cup diced country ham
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese
Steam vegetables. Add pasta to boiling water and cook until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain pasta. Return to same pot.
Meanwhile, heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and bell pepper; saute 2 minutes. Add half and half, chicken broth, and corn starch slurry and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Mix in 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and country ham.
Add carrot and asparagus pieces to sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over pasta and toss to coat evenly. Divide pasta among 4 plates. Garnish with asparagus tips. Serve, passing additional Parmesan separately.
Yield: 4 servings