- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
1. Cook the carrots and parsnips in two separate saucepans of salted water until each is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain in one colander, return to one pot, and place over very low heat until the vegetables are quite dry, about 1 minute.
2. Transfer to a food processor or leave in the pot to mash. Add the half-and-half, butter, sugar, nutmeg, and process or mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer to make a fairly smooth puree. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
from Dishing Up Maine
Yield: 6 servings